— OBJECTIVE —
Tell insightful, vibrant stories and save journalism.
— SKILLS PROFILE —
- Fifteen years making news as an editor and reporter.
- Extensive experience in computer-assisted and public records-centered reporting, as well as confrontational and trauma-informed interviewing.
- Record of success while working through major transitions within the industry.
— EMPLOYMENT HISTORY —
2007-current — SeattlePI/Seattle Post-Intelligencer – Seattle, Washington
- Transitioned from the print Seattle P-I after the metro newspaper’s closure in March 2009 to the online-only SeattlePI, where I assign and edit stories while producing investigative enterprise pieces and providing breaking news coverage.
- Moved into an assigning editor’s role in 2016 to coach colleagues, direct coverage and report pieces large and small.
- Innovated online as a newsroom analytics and SEO leader, ensuring that we used these tools to inform and delight our users.
- Garnered numerous regional awards competing against much larger news organizations.
2004-2006 — Skagit Valley Herald – Mount Vernon, Washington
- Beats included courts and crime, tribal government and issues, city and rural regional issues in a beautiful rural community.
2002-2004 — The Daily World – Aberdeen, Washington
- Entered daily newspapering covering an economically depressed, intensely engaged community, covering crime, city and county governments and natural resources.
— EDUCATION —
Bachelor of Arts, Western Washington University, Bellingham, Washington
— SKILLS & HONORS —
- Awards include regional SPJ honors on a variety of news beats, including a 2016 first place award for health reporting in the large newspaper division and a 2017 runner-up for short feature reporting in the contest’s open division, which included competitors from The Oregonian and The Seattle Times.
- Classroom training includes the Investigative Reporters and Editors boot camp and Journalist Law School at Loyola Law.
- Skilled in computer-assisted reporting, reporting from the courts and website management. Experienced presenting on television and radio, both public and commercial. Familiar with audio and video editing, HTML, interactive database management and ski lift operation.